Grilled Salmon Flatbread with Fresh Blueberry Salsa
Chef Jacob Peck, Garden Café at the Chicago Botanic Garden
- Spice Blend (recipe below)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 skinless salmon fillets (8 ounces each)
- 4 pita breads
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch watercress, trimmed (about 2 cups)
- Spice Blend: In a small bowl, stir together 1 teaspoon each ground spices: coriander, cumin, fennel seed, cardamom and mustard seed; 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper.
- Heat grill or grill pan to medium-high.
- Sprinkle 4 teaspoons of the spice blend and the garlic on both sides of salmon; grill just until opaque in center, about 4 minutes per side.
- With 2 forks, flake the salmon.
- Grill the pita until toasted, about 30 seconds per side; place on 4 plates.
- In a medium bowl, toss the blueberries, avocado, cilantro, onion, jalapeño, lime zest and 1 teaspoon of the remaining spice blend with the lime juice and oil.
- Top pitas with watercress, salmon and blueberry salsa, dividing evenly.